Download my complete C.V. pdf
Ph.D., Political Science (May 2006)
- Dissertation: A Europe of Regions? Regional Integration, Sub-National Mobilization and the Optimal Size of States pdf
- Honors: National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2007 European Union Studies Association (EUSA) Best Dissertation Prize (Announcement)
- Committee: Herbert Kitschelt (chair), Robert O. Keohane, Gary Marks, Steven Wilkinson
M.A., Political Science (December 2002)
- Fields: Comparative Politics, Political Methodology
- Theme Field: Race and Ethnicity
B.A., Government and Economics (May 1998)
- Honors: Magna cum laude, Valedictorian, Phi Beta Kappa
Bakker, Ryan, Seth Jolly, and Jonathan Polk. 2020. “Multidimensional incongruence, political disaffection, and support for anti-establishment parties.” Journal of European Public Policy 27.2: 292–309. journal pdf
Bakker, Ryan, Seth Jolly, and Jonathan Polk. 2020. “Analyzing the cross-national comparability of party positions on the socio-cultural and EU dimensions in Europe.” Political Science Research Methods. journal pdf
Bakker, Ryan, Seth Jolly, and Jonathan Polk. 2018. “Multidimensional incongruence and vote switching in Europe.” Public Choice. journal pdf
Polk, Jonathan, Jan Rovny, Ryan Bakker, Erica Edwards, Liesbet Hooghe, Seth Jolly, Jelle Koedam, Filip Kostelka, Gary Marks, Gijs Schumacher, Marco Steenbergen, Milada Vachudova, Marko Zilovic. 2017. “Explaining the Salience of Anti-elitism and Reducing Political Corruption for Political Parties in Europe with the 2014 Chapel Hill Expert Survey Data.” Research & Politics (January-March): 1–9. journal pdf
Bakker, Ryan, Catherine de Vries, Erica Edwards, Liesbet Hooghe, Seth Jolly, Gary Marks, Jonathan Polk, Jan Rovny, Marco Steenbergen and Milada Anna Vachudova. 2015. “Measuring Party Positions in Europe: The Chapel Hill Expert Survey Trend File, 1999–2010.” Party Politics 21.1 (January): 143–152. journal pdf
Bakker, Ryan, Erica Edwards, Seth Jolly, Jonathan Polk, Jan Rovny and Marco Steenbergen. 2014. “Anchoring the Experts: Using Vignettes to Compare Party Ideology Across Countries.” Research and Politics 1.3 (October-December). journal pdf
Bakker, Ryan, Seth Jolly, Jonathan Polk and Keith Poole. 2014. “The European Common Space: Extending the Use of Anchoring Vignettes.” The Journal of Politics 76.4 (October): 1089–1101. journal replication materials pdf
Jolly, Seth and Gerald Digiusto. 2014. “Xenophobia and Immigrant Contact: French Public Attitudes toward Immigration.” Social Science Journal 51.3 (September): 464–473. journal pdf
→ See my research page for a complete list of publications.
Selected Invited Talks
- Workshop on Expert Surveys at the Bertelsmann Group, Berlin Germany (October 2017)
- Workshop on “Rejected Europe, Beloved Europe, Cleavage Europe?” European University Institute, Florence Italy (May 2017)
- Workshop on “A Diversity of (European) Identities: From the Subnational to the Supranational” University of Pittsburgh, PA (March 2017)
- “Brexit, Populism, and the Future of Europe” Lecture at the Syracuse Century Club (February 2017)
- “The European Union and the Rise of Regionalist Parties.’‘ Center for European Research at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden (January 2016)
- “The European Union and the Rise of Regionalist Parties.” PARCC Conversations, Maxwell School of Syracuse University (October 2015).
- “Xenophobia and Islamophobia in Modern Europe.” The Finch Lecture, sponsored by the Department of Political Science, Miami University, Oxford Ohio (March 2015).
- Roundtable on “Examining the Rise of Europe’s Radical Right.” Cornell Institute for European Studies, Cornell University (February 2015).
- “Euroskeptic Parties and the EU.” Institute for European Studies, University of Indiana, Bloomington (November 2014). archived video Part 1 archived video Part 2 archived video Part 3
- Roundtable on Turkey and the European Union. Moynihan European Research Centers, Syracuse University (November 2014).
- “Xenophobia in the EU: Public Attitudes Toward Immigration.” Center for European Studies Friday Lecture Series, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (September 2013). archived video
- Workshop on the Politics of Change, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (June 2008).
- National Public Radio. The Bryant Park Project (7 November 2007). archived audio
- Program on International Politics, Economics, and Security (PIPES), University of Chicago (March 2007).
- Comparative Politics Workshop, Department of Political Science, University of Chicago (October 2006).
- Workshop on Parties, Identities, and Multi-level Governance, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (April 2006).